Dating

Fancy a date?

I’ve been thinking about dating, college, and being a twenty-something for a long, long time now. Can the three coexist without it spontaneously combusting? I have seen a lot of break ups, make ups and confusion this year. Hell, I have been at the centre of some of those things. I was talking to a friend of mine about dating and how I’m a terrible flirt and how I need to print off a set of ‘important facts’ about myself so I can give it to any person I decide to date. I actually stumbled across this post on Thought Catalog and found that I related to a lot of their points. I also feel like I need to apologize to a lot of people I have dated. That post is what has inspired me to write today. So, without further ado, you lucky (mostly female) people will be getting some inside secrets on what it would be like to date me.

sundown-2I won’t need you, but I’ll sure as hell want you.

This may sound a little blunt, but it’s nothing short of the truth. I am comfortable in being by myself. I like being alone. I don’t really need a lot of anything. I was watching a movie the other day and something along the line of “It’s not that I can’t live without you. It’s just that I don’t want to try” was said, and it struck a chord with me. I won’t need you around all the time. I won’t need to cling from you arm 24/7, but I really mean it when I say that I want you.

Be prepared for me to pull away from you.

Trust me, it will happen. It has happened in all of my relationships; past, present, and probably future. You haven’t done anything wrong unless you deem incessant texting to be necessary. I am okay. We are okay. Everything is okay. I will just like you (a lot) and those type of feelings freak me out. I will always come back, but I’ll just need a little time to think things through.

I am used to being alone…in fact, I rather enjoy it.

I’m an introvert through and through. It is my ‘comfort zone’ as the article put it. If I am surrounded by too many people then I need to go and sit on my own afterwards. If I work all day then I need to be alone for a while. If I get overwhelmed by my emotions then I will definitely need to be alone. If I like you then I will want to be around you, but please respect my breathing space.

I’m accustomed to looking after myself.

I have been working for half my life. I know what hard work is. I know what long hours are. I can lift that box by myself or I will try my damnedest before I ask you. I’m stubborn. It will take me a long time for me to admit that I need help, and an even longer time before I ask you to help. I guess it goes without saying that I have a hard time accepting help as well.

I’m guarded.

I am absolutely terrified of love; falling in love, being loved and being hurt by love. It takes a long, long time for me to trust people or to show them my vulnerabilities. I have been let down by people in my life and being slow to share some things is just my way of protecting myself. If you are patient then you will learn the whole story.

…And I will love you.

• Reply Audrey

Love this!

November 21, 2014 at 11:41 am
  • Reply ~ Carmen ~

So cute. This is actually something you should sent potential suitors. Just be like “here’s a head’s up, yo.” I like to be alone as well. :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

November 21, 2014 at 11:46 am
    • Reply Little Misadventures

Hahaha I told my friend that I need to print off the list of seventeen things! It seriously describes me to a T. Send it to them after a week or two of dating, you know, just to make sure they’re interested enough to put up with the rest of the crazy that will be coming their way 😉 Being alone is great! I honestly don’t know why some people complain about it. I am such a weirdo.

November 21, 2014 at 12:35 pm
  • Reply Wendy

This reminds me of the conversation I had with my boyfriend when he first asked me out. I flat-out told him what to expect and (thankfully!) he didn’t run for the hills. Really loved this post of yours. 🙂

November 21, 2014 at 3:43 pm
    • Reply Little Misadventures

I had a similar conversation with my partner 😉 the good ones stick around for us nutjobs haha. Thank you! 🙂

November 21, 2014 at 7:13 pm
  • Reply Jess

I love this!
    Sounds really similar to me! One thing I would add to that list is that I love spoiling the boy I’m dating, haha. It’s a habit, I’d get to know his favourite things/foods and when I’m just out and about, I usually pick them up LOL

November 21, 2014 at 6:16 pm
    • Reply Little Misadventures

Haha I’m a commitment phobe so I usually bolt before it gets to that phase. #badgirlfriend you’re a cutie though 😉 dayummmm gurl be my bby gurl x0 you already know the way to my heart as well haha. Coffee, sushi and Sims 😉

November 21, 2014 at 7:11 pm
  • Reply jblondie

I love how well you know yourself! Good bits and all. Us single, dating, 20 somethings need to stick together. Love it! 😀

November 21, 2014 at 8:49 pm
    • Reply Little Misadventures

I might need to show this page and the linked article to my current partner 😉 I’m sure I would make a lot more sense to him. Haha. It took a while to figure out all my quirks but I got there in the end. Thank you! 🙂

November 21, 2014 at 8:56 pm
  • Reply louisthomas93

I have nominated you for The Leibster Award. You can find out more here and I can’t wait to see what you reply…http://livelovelouis.com/2014/11/my-liebster-award-nomination/

November 22, 2014 at 7:56 am
  • Reply Fancy a Date: Part Two

[…] while ago, I wrote a post about what it would be like to date me. I shared some pretty irreversible, unchangeable parts of my personality that would influence how I […]

February 4, 2015 at 9:02 am
  • Reply Farrah

I think I’ve probably gotten way too used to being on my own, haha. I’m all of these as well!

February 4, 2015 at 10:26 am
  • Reply You wanna get with me? #ONE | Underneath a rock

[…] Victoria (my favourite blogger on WordPress until further notice) made a post that inspired me, so I thought I should make one too. So these are the little things that I think a […]

February 24, 2015 at 8:11 am
  • Reply Fancy a Date: Part Three

[…] now I’m assuming we’ve gotten past the feint and run stage of the relationship and we’ve had the awesome floaty sex stage. If anyone has done their […]

March 3, 2015 at 9:04 am