Singledom

11 Things Every Single Girl Should Do

I have a bit of experience when it comes to being single.

I stand by what I said: Being single is awesomebut you have to give it a chance first. I know so many people who are scared of being single, so they jump from relationship to relationship without pausing to catch their breath. I get exhausted just by watching it.

Have you ever heard of me moping around and crying into a bucket of ice-cream because I’m single?

Neither should you.

Put down that spoon, put on your big girl panties (the sexy kind), and have fun!

Because I have come up with eleven things that every single girl should do. And they are awesome. Believe me.

1. FLIRT. SHAMELESSLY. WITH EVERYONE.

You’re single. What the heck are you supposed to do? Flirt with everyone. Seriously. People older than you. People younger than you. Women. Men. Just flirt. Flirt like your life depends on it. Every single girl should feel proud of their ability to flirt with whoever the heck they want. Consequences be damned. College is the perfect time to flirt, date, and make bad choices.

Note: Any life stage is the perfect opportunity to flirt. Get dolled up and head out with a group of girls. Get a wing-woman. Just get out there!

2. BE INDEPENDENT!

Hello independent woman! This is your ‘hear me roar’ moment. Who needs a man? Definitely not you! We are perfectly capable of doing whatever we want if we put our minds to it. Being independent is one of the most attractive traits in a woman.  I mean, we can get ourselves off when a man can’t figure out how to do it, right? How hard is changing a lightbulb really going to be? #dontneednoman

3. TRAVEL.

Want to go to Australia? Do it. Want to go to Austria? Do it. Want to go to America. Go ahead. Travel. This is the time for you to be selfish. This is the time when you only have to worry about yourself. You absolutely should travel. Still in college? Take advantage of those breaks that you get. Weeks upon weeks upon weeks are gifted to you from the college system. Do something with them.

4. GET SOME LOVE.

There’s nothing quite like the love you get from people who love you unconditionally. Go visit your mum and get a proper home cooked meal. You remember what that is, right? No more greasy takeaway for you! You might think you need to fill a void with a gallon of ice-cream and a side of french fries (because sometimes you do)but there is nothing quite like a homemade lasagna. And cake. And hot chocolate (or alcohol) being available to you at all hours of the day.

Go visit your friends. Heck, surprise your friends with your presence! Force yourself on them like the flu, except, you know, they love you and would do anything to spend time with you. Organise a girly weekend away and just pamper yourselves. Or do the opposite! Get down and dirty and go camping for the weekend! Bring the essentials (read: alcohol) and go Bear Grylls wild for the weekend.

5. NETFLIX & CHILL.

Want to watch Jane the Virgin? Hell yeah girl! You do you. Want to watch a murder documentary? Suit yourself. Want to watch all of 13 Reasons Why in one sitting? I totally understand. This is the perfect opportunity to get a bag of candy, some pizza, and stream all the best shows on Netflix. Do it and don’t be ashamed about it. I know I’m not.

Reminder: College is also a perfect time to binge watch all your shows. Choosing between exam prep and your favourite show is a no brainer, right?

6. CHASE A SILVER FOX.

Go on, be wined and dined by someone who knows his stuff! It’s all part of having fun while you’re still single. You need to have some crazy stories to look back on, right?

In the last year, I’ve gone on dates with men who have been (at least) ten years older than me. They treated me with respect and not like a piece of meat but they also knew when to pull my hair. They’ve been around a while, so nothing can shock them (too much).

Believe it or not, but I prefer to date older men. They know how to have a good time. Trust me.

7. LET YOURSELF BE ALONE.

I’ve said this once and I’ll say it again: you need to spend time alone to really appreciate being single. It is awesome and nothing to be ashamed of. Just think of all those cats that you can own. I think ten is the perfect number.

In all honesty though, you need to relearn how to be happy by yourself again. You did it once, so you can do it again. (And again, and again, and again). Some nights you might cry into a gallon of ice-cream, and some nights you might go out to a bar. It’s all about balance.

Remember what I said about independence being an attractive trait? Happiness (and knowing how to be happy by yourself) is at the top of that list.

8. GET TO KNOW YOURSELF AGAIN.

You do you, girl. Literally. Go out and get yourself a decent vibrator. Treat yourself to all the orgasms you weren’t getting whilst dating that douchebag.

9. FIND A NEW HOBBY.

I’m not saying you have to go to the gym every day. I’m not saying you have to take up knitting or start collecting stamps either. Don’t go all crazy now. (But hey, if you do that already then that is awesome! Please tell me how you are so dedicated.)

Blogging and writing are some of my favourite hobbies.

A hobby could turn into a career.

You never know what could happen in the future. Just try something. Anything.

Note: College is full of opportunities! Join a club, sports teams, meet up or create your own group. The choices are endless! Chances are you’ll find some awesome, like-minded people along the way, too. Win-win, right?

10. DO NOTHING.

Seriously. You can ignore all this advice and do absolutely nothing. You don’t have anyone expecting you to attend events, go out on dates, or be nice to his (or her) parents. Relish in that fact by turning into a couch potato.

11. MAKE THE FIRST MOVE.

That hot guy at the bar? Talk to him. Shirtless stranger on the beach? Give him your number. Flirt. Shamelessly. Make the first move…even if you have to down a drink or ten before you do so. Never try, never know. Right? Just do it.

• Reply Erin

These are so important! Honestly, a lot of these are things I still think married women should aim for (obviously not the dating and flirting) as far as traveling, spending time alone, spending time with family, and learning to be independent and accomplishing tasks yourself.

June 27, 2015 at 3:12 am
    • Reply Little Misadventures

Agreed! I know I’ll be doing 90% of these things when I’m an old and grey grandmother ha. You mark my words!

June 27, 2015 at 11:17 pm
  • Reply disastersofathirtysomething

Love this! I’m married now – 8 months in – but I tried to make the most of my single days and I was fiercely independent and tried to pack in as much fun as possible….not that the fun has stopped now haha!!
    No 10 is how I met my husband too!

June 27, 2015 at 4:01 am
    • Reply Little Misadventures

I imagine marriage is a different kind of fun and I mean that in the most non-weird way possible haha. Oooooh, nice! 😀 I happened to give my number to a guy on the beach when he asked for it 😉 #10 is probably the most fun (and occasionally terrifying) of them all haha.

June 27, 2015 at 11:16 pm
  • Reply Pink and Navy Prepster

I’m no longer single, but I love this list! I love how it really highlights the importance of independence in all areas!

June 27, 2015 at 6:17 am
    • Reply Little Misadventures

Thanks doll! Independence is a huge thing for me, so I try to reiterate it as much as I can without bashing everyone over the head with the idea hahaha. Well, try to at least. So glad that you liked the list!

June 27, 2015 at 11:13 pm
  • Reply iblogforus

Yes! I love this post! I wish more young single women would embrace this like you do. Being single is awesome and I can’t imagine my life (right now) any other way.

June 27, 2015 at 7:07 am
    • Reply Little Misadventures

I’ve had a loooooong time to embrace it haha. I haven’t had a “serious” boyfriend since I was 17/18 and I’m 21 at the moment 😀 Being single is definitely friggin’ awesome! Ha. No complaints here 😉

June 27, 2015 at 11:10 pm
  • Reply Clover

This is fab. Especially number 1, though my flirt style is yet to develop from something a lot like to playground hair pulling to Blair Waldorf finesse.

June 27, 2015 at 9:17 am
    • Reply Little Misadventures

My style is similar to playground warfare/so subtle that the person doesn’t know I’m flirting with them. Ha. Definitely hit-and-miss with me! They tend to get the hint when I throw myself at them 😉

June 27, 2015 at 11:08 pm
  • Reply Grace Mountain Diaries

I married my high school sweetheart (not while in high school mind you!). And now, as I sit with single girlfriends and hear some of their travel…adventures I wish I had a chance to do some of those things on my own or with girlfriends. There’s an independence that I hadn’t fully developed/enjoyed that I am working to develop now, in the midst of a healthy marriage. ((Fun list!))

June 27, 2015 at 12:10 pm
    • Reply Little Misadventures

Now I think that is the sweetest thing. Really. I love those sort of stories. They are my absolute favourite. Keep working on it! You won’t regret it 😀

June 27, 2015 at 10:59 pm
  • Reply Channing C

I love all these! I agree, society puts too much pressure on woman to get married or be in a relationship!

June 27, 2015 at 12:20 pm
    • Reply Little Misadventures

Absolutely! I mean, I live in NZ. It isn’t too bad here. I have lived in America though, and the pressure can be absolutely mental! The world will eventually catch on to the fact that being single is okay and that we aren’t broken because we like it haha. I have hope.

June 27, 2015 at 10:56 pm
  • Reply Lauren

I absolutely need to hear this!

June 27, 2015 at 5:16 pm
    • Reply Little Misadventures

Well I hope I delivered it in a way that wasn’t too in your face 😀 I’ve been single/not in a committed relationship for a long time, so I’ve gotten really accustomed to doing all of those things 😀 Taking the plunge is scary, but it is actually quite nice after a while.

June 27, 2015 at 10:53 pm
  • Reply Lena

Interesting list! I’ve been doing most of them but haven’t been out with anyone more than a year or two older than me. Maybe I should try it!

June 28, 2015 at 8:42 pm
    • Reply Little Misadventures

It is definitely a good time! …For a time, like I said. Dating older men is definitely “my thing”. For the last year I was dating someone who was 18 years older than me. Haha.

June 28, 2015 at 8:55 pm
  • Reply Little Freckled One

Thanks for this! I’ve been really disappointed in some single friends lately. It’s like they think that having a romantic interest to rely on emotionally will fix all their problems! They should go and experience being single! Being single doesn’t have to be lonely or sad! Go on you and get your flirt on! My motto is also “get mean, keep them keen” ;P

June 29, 2015 at 1:34 pm
    • Reply Little Misadventures

Haha I think that might be my motto as well 😉 Treat ’em mean, keep ’em keen! Once upon a time I had some friends who thought that being with a male meant that they were doing life ‘right’ and that they were a failure if they weren’t coupled up. They pretty much based their entire self-worth on whether or not they were with someone. It was weiiiird.

June 30, 2015 at 11:56 am
      • Reply Little Freckled One

It is quite weird because when girls are in Uni, they expect to have a life mate as soon as they graduate. It’s like a part of a 10 year plan or something and it shouldn’t be! Live your life the best you could and if the right person comes along, they’ll fit right in 🙂 Who were these older men?!!

June 30, 2015 at 2:56 pm
        • Reply Little Misadventures

Right? Haha I have a vague plan for my career life and a man will fit into that if he wants. 90% of them were absolutely lovely. There were one or two odd ones ha. They didn’t get past the first date. The others are still friends…or as friendly as they can be 😀 Definitely have a thing for older men 😉 My last partner is turning 39 in a couple of weeks. Eeeep. Current partner/guy I’m casually sleeping with is 27, so it is a bit of a change!

June 30, 2015 at 8:26 pm
  • Reply Rachel Bulosan

Ahhhh doing #3 as we speak! I’m glad you liked my photoblog. Your blog is wonderful ♡♡♡ Hope you’ll keep in touch

June 29, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I wish I was doing that one! You’re lucky! Thank you love! I sure will! 😀

June 30, 2015 at 11:56 am
  • Reply M MALMCRONA

Haha, the first one!!! Flirt. Shamelessly. LOVE IT.

July 7, 2015 at 12:22 am
    • Reply Little Misadventures

Haha well, I mean, what else are you gonna do? 😉 Flirting is my #1 sport.

August 24, 2015 at 8:52 am
  • Reply 10 Reasons Why Being Single Sucks

[…] am independent. I have a lot of things that I enjoy doing and things that I believe all single girls should enjoy doing. Because heck, we can (and should) do a lot more than sit around knitting, hoarding cats, and […]

August 17, 2015 at 11:13 am
  • Reply 5ftFlyer

Number three is exactly what happened to me, I broke up with my ex around christmas time, and a few months later booked my one way to australia. I completely agree x

August 24, 2015 at 6:55 am
    • Reply Little Misadventures

I’m saving for my own ticket to Australia! I want to go on a trip next year and I want to be prepared 😀 Travel is the best and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone at any stage of their lives!

August 24, 2015 at 8:54 am
      • Reply 5ftFlyer

Im planning on taking a trip to new zealand while i’m there too x

August 24, 2015 at 8:55 am
  • Reply Why I’m “Taking a Break” From Dating

[…] and underused heart/emotions some time to rest. I need time to focus on myself. I need to really do things by myself (minus the […]

September 22, 2015 at 10:04 am
  • Reply Why You Should Never, Ever Get Back with Your Ex

[…] You look around the room and notice that everyone else is holding hands. Everyone else is in a relationship and all loved up, while you’re having a love affair with the cheese platter. There’s no shame in being single. I should know. That being said, I have noticed the odd comment or glance from my friends and family. Never, ever get back with your ex-boyfriend because you’re the only single one. Being single isn’t the end of the world. Go and explore. Do something for you. Have fun. […]

November 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
  • Reply duffelbagspouse

Very good tips. I love the flirting one, I am a shameless flirt, but travel is my first, middle and last name.

November 29, 2017 at 9:52 am
  • Reply Sami Summers

I love these tips so much! Especially the one about dating a silver fox. I missed that ship and it’s unfortunate because I’ve always liked older men.

November 29, 2017 at 5:19 pm
  • Reply Ana Ro

Funny tips! I liked them, should do more of all except the silver foxes 😉

November 30, 2017 at 2:14 am
  • Reply Melanie Poulos Walsh

Even though I’m married, I would so love to incorporate some of these in my life. I could use more independent fun, perhaps with a new hobby. Stamps may not be my thing but living a life a little more focused on myself wouldn’t be bad.

November 30, 2017 at 2:19 am
  • Reply alexraphael

A real fun post. What are you watching on Neflix at the moment?

December 7, 2017 at 9:44 am