Life & Happenings

Blogging with a Baby

Right now, my son is lying on his change mat with his bare booty in the air. I have four minutes (at best) before he realises that he’s half-naked and can pee everywhere. I would like to say that it doesn’t happen that often, but that would be a blatant lie.

Baby pee. It happens. Everywhere.

Remember the carpet in your mum’s house? It probably has pee on it.

Right now, I am writing this post and hoping like hell that it makes sense. I woke up at 5am to a baby who was screaming the house down. With his eyes closed. That takes talent. Blogging with a baby is about grabbing every spare moment (ha) that you have. You know, if you’re really serious about making it work.

I can’t remember the last time I sat down and wrote a blog post.

I’m absolutely smitten. Can you blame me?

I have found that blogging with a baby is touch and go at the best of times…and sometimes it just doesn’t get done at all. I’m on Twitter, and I see mothers who have posts scheduled months in advance. They have tweets scheduled. They’re active on Instagram and Facebook. I’m sitting here wondering how the hell they get it done.

I have a blog schedule. Of sorts. I haven’t looked at since I created it one month ago. If I remember correctly, I should have published twelve (or more) posts since that fateful day that I created the Numbers document. Have I done that? No. Do I feel guilty? A little bit. Am I willing to spend time on my laptop instead of playing with my son? Nope.

I have the social media scheduling tools. I use them. Sometimes.

The only thing I don’t have is time.

It used to take me a couple of hours to draft and edit a blog post, and create images for it. I would click publish and not think about it ever again. Pretty simple, no?

Now a blog post takes me a couple of days to write. I generally have my foot on C’s bouncy chair or I’m holding him with one hand or I’m shaking a toy in his face with one hand and typing with the other. Or he’s lying naked on a change mat and having an absolute ball while I’m giving him the side eye.

I’m making bottles, cleaning bottles, and giving my baby a bottle. I’m doing laundry, cleaning my (our) room, and sorting though his massive amount of clothes. I’m dodging stuffed animals, finding lost socks, and emptying his almost always overflowing diaper bin. I’m pulling silly faces, reading him books, and getting some tummy time in as well. Heck, I’m having a frigging nap.

I am looking after a baby.

Blogging with a baby is hard. Sometimes it doesn’t happen. A lot of the time.

I choose to snuggle my baby. I choose to make a bottle for my baby. I choose to be silly and try make my baby laugh. I choose to hold him for an extra minute in the morning and at night. I choose to give him extra kisses. I choose to play games with my son. Sometimes I think I’m more entertained by the baby toys than C.

So, sometimes I get to come to this space and pour out how I’m feeling or write an update about my baby boy. Sometimes I get to come to this space and read all the lovely comments (and I occasionally feel ambitious and actually reply). Sometimes I come to this space and sigh. Sometimes I come to this space and consider deleting it all.

But I never regret spending that extra minute with my son.

Blogging with a baby: Sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not. (Mostly not.)

And that’s okay.

• Reply rugby843

Such a cutie, lucky mom!

July 1, 2017 at 11:20 am
    • Reply Victoria

I am the luckiest mum ever!

August 6, 2017 at 6:48 am
  • Reply Viola (@violahelen_)

This is such an honest blog post and I love it! It’s not about the frequency of blog posts anyway, it’s definitely more about the quality! Please spend the time with your son rather than blogging (who would even think there was a choice?!) and I can’t wait to read more about your adventures with him 🙈
    Viola xo | A Piece of Viola

July 1, 2017 at 1:59 pm
    • Reply Victoria

Right? There was never, ever a choice! He would win every time. I can’t wait to write about them all!

August 6, 2017 at 6:49 am
  • Reply Rikka

Baby is the sweetest thing! And yes, spend all the time you want and can with him because I hear every second counts (I don’t have a bubba yet so what do I know). We will be here whether you post regularly or not anyway 🙂

July 1, 2017 at 11:14 pm
    • Reply Victoria

Every second does count! He’s almost six months old and I’m like WHAT?! How did we get here?!

August 6, 2017 at 6:49 am
  • Reply Magaly

Lucky baby! They’re only babies (and toddlers and kids)
    once… the world will be waiting when you do find time!
    Enjoy!

July 11, 2017 at 10:44 am
    • Reply Victoria

He is the absolute sweetest thing! I’m lucky to be his mum.

August 6, 2017 at 6:50 am
  • Reply Dominique| Perchance to Cook

Great post! I’m thinking of starting a family soon and I’ve been curious as to how it would affect my blog. Looks like flexibility and being ok with not posting sometimes is the answer 🙂

July 11, 2017 at 10:46 am
    • Reply Victoria

That is definitely the answer! I know a few bloggers write when their husbands are looking after baby, so that is always an option! I tend to do a lot of writing when C is taking a nap or when he’s doing tummy time and is happy to entertain himself for a while 🙂

August 6, 2017 at 6:53 am
  • Reply Nostalgia Diaries

Spending time with that sweet little one is the most important thing of all! Loved this post 🙂

July 11, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Heck yes it is! Thank you! 🙂

August 6, 2017 at 6:53 am
  • Reply TeeShares

Hahaha, I so know what it’s like. Not as easy as people make it look like sometimes… I have a toddler and sometimes when i just wanna write I find she seeks my attention big time so i have come up with ways to entertain her those times. Otherwise my ideas escape me. They grow fast so it’s good you prioritize your little one – you don’t wanna look back and regret the time you spent writing instead of attending to him.

July 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm
    • Reply Victoria

Right?! I’m like “YES, HE IS DISTRACTED!” but he absolutely ‘needs’ me the second I sit down to write. It is uncanny! Every. Time. I absolutely do not want to look back with ‘I should have’ thoughts. If that means that my blog has to have some gaps every now and again, then so be it.

August 6, 2017 at 6:57 am
  • Reply Shannon Sawicki

Love this!! So true! I Had so many grand plans for my time off and when my little guy came plans and priorities quickly shifted.

July 12, 2017 at 3:29 am
    • Reply Victoria

In the blink of an eye! I don’t know how I could go back to the way things were. Impossible.

August 6, 2017 at 7:00 am
  • Reply girlgonelondon

Aw, he is so sweet! Loved the refreshing honesty in this post — enjoy your time with your little one!

July 12, 2017 at 8:30 am

He is the cutest! Thank you 🙂

August 6, 2017 at 7:00 am
  • Reply Bailey

Never regret that time. It is so fleeting and so precious.

July 12, 2017 at 2:33 pm
    • Reply Victoria

So precious! Time is absolutely flying.

August 6, 2017 at 7:01 am
  • Reply Mica

Loved that last line, it’s so true! We will never regret time with your loved ones, it’s always worth it!

For me, I scheduled posts in advance with my maternity leave, that gave me a bit of a head start! 🙂 Some days I’m still writing the post the night before, but other magical times it all falls into place and I have 1 or two posts scheduled in advance! I’m using hootsuite a lot to schedule on twitter, and I’m using instagram less but try check it once a day, and post when I can.

Bottom line is we have to do what makes us happy – blog when we can for our ‘me time’ and take care of baby as the most important thing. You’ll have more time to yourself soon!

July 12, 2017 at 7:58 pm
    • Reply Victoria

I WISH I had scheduled posts in advance, but I never had the energy to actually sit and write. I worked as a freelance writer too, so all my creative juices were going into that job. I’m still writing and publishing posts instantly instead of scheduling them. I am terrible! Blogging is definitely my ‘me time’, but I just wish it didn’t have to come in the dead of night! Haha.

August 6, 2017 at 7:05 am
  • Reply Natalie K.

This is such a sweet post! I can’t imagine how hard it must be to take care of a baby AND keep blogging. But don’t worry, take your time and blog just whenever you want (and have time, haha). I am now following this blog, because I sense some great posts here, haha! xx

July 12, 2017 at 11:17 pm
    • Reply Victoria

Definitely going to take my time! I want to put out QUALITY posts when I do write. Thank you for giving my blog a ‘follow’! I appreciate that a lot 🙂

August 6, 2017 at 7:06 am
  • Reply Hailey Girdlestone

Absolutely gorgeous! My two are 5 and 3 and I can’t find the time to blog…. and they are old enough to amuse themselves haha. Enjoy these moments, they sure do go too fast.

July 13, 2017 at 12:47 am
    • Reply Victoria

Too fast! People said that a lot when I was pregnant, but I didn’t realise just how fast it was until now. It is absolutely insane.

August 6, 2017 at 7:07 am
  • Reply faithtruthmumlife

He’s a beauty! How old is he? Mine is 11 weeks and I totally get you! Then the other half comes home wondering what you’ve done all day!!! Grrrrrr

September 8, 2017 at 6:23 am
  • Reply Erika

Oh my, such a cutie!

September 24, 2017 at 10:58 am
  • Reply livewellplaytogether

It can be so tough to balance it all – but I think you absolutely are right in the importance of not giving up those baby snuggles!

December 5, 2017 at 10:07 am